How to register elderly disabled

The actual process of disability registration does vary for each local authority so first please contact the appropriate authority of your parent by phone or check out their website for information. You can also talk to your parent’s GP.

You can register your ageing parent as disabled if they have a substantial and permanent disability. A substantial disability is defined as ‘affecting the individual’s ability to complete basic tasks, being dependent on equipment or assistance in many activities of daily life’

If they register as disabled, their details will be stored on a confidential database and your parent will be given a small card as proof of registration

It will not cost your older relative any money to register

This card is a quick and easy way of proving that the holder has a significant disability and needs to use facilities provided for disabled people.

Registration is voluntary

Your ageing parent does not need to be registered to receive a service

Why your disabled parent should think about registering?

Access to certain facilities such as disabled toilets with a key

Easier access to some concessions, such as a Disabled Person’s Railcard

  • Discounts at some leisure facilities
  • Your  elderly relative may be able to reclaim VAT on specific disability equipment
  • All concessions are discretionary and may vary
  • Registering as disabled will not have any impact on applications for welfare benefits

How does your elderly parent become registered? 

There are several different types of disability registration, each with their own way of registering

1. Registration for people who are severely sight-impaired (blind), or sight- impaired (partially sighted)

Please note this process does vary by area so make sure you check with the local authority first

To register, your ageing parent will need to be certified as sight-impaired (partially sighted), or severely sight-impaired (blind) by a consultant ophthalmologist (eye specialist)

If  they are already attending an eye hospital or clinic, they should discuss certification with their specialist

Otherwise, they should ask their GP to refer them to a consultant ophthalmologist

If the ophthalmologist considers that your elderly relative is severely sight- impaired, or sight-impaired, they will complete a certificate and send it to your relative, their GP and to their local authority

If they are registered as Severely Sight Impaired (blind), then they automatically qualify for the following:

  • Blue Badge (disabled parking)
  • Blind Persons Tax Allowance
  • Articles for the Blind service
  • 50% reduction on TV Licence fee
  • London Council’s Taxicard Scheme (if in London)
  • Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass (you will also qualify for this if you are registered as sight-impaired)

2. Registration for people who are hard of hearing or deaf

Please note this process does vary by area so make sure you check with the local authority first

To register, your ageing parent will need to have a copy of an audio-gram, which shows their level of hearing

If they have not seen an audiologist, please contact their GP for a referral to a hospital Audiology department

An Audiologist can send a copy of their audiogram to the local authority, or you can do this

This can be sent it to the Social Care Direct team

The local authority will then send a registration card to show that your elderly relative is :

  • Hard of hearing
  • Deaf with speech
  • Deaf without speech
  • If your ageing parent is registered as deaf (with or without speech), they will qualify for a Disabled Person’s Freedom Pass.

3. Physical disability registration 

Please note this process does vary by area so make sure you check with the appropriate local authority first

To be registered as having a physical impairment, your ageing parent will need to have a diagnosis of a long-term condition, which is supported by their GP

To register a physical disability, your elderly relative can contact Social Care Direct, who will send a form

Your parent must sign this form, to give their consent for their medical information to be shared with their local authority

Then take the form to their GP, who will complete the necessary details and return the form to their local authority

Once the local authority has received the completed form, they will issue your elderly relative with a registration card, with one of the following disability categories:

  • Severe physical disability
  • Appreciable physical disability (moderate)
  • Impaired physical disability (low)

The Blue Badge

A Blue Badge will help your elderly parent to park close to their destination, either as a passenger or driver

However, the badge is intended for on-street parking only

Off-street car parks, such as those provided in local authority, hospital or supermarket car parks, are governed by separate rules

The badge and its concessions are for their use only and it is a criminal offence for anyone else to use the badge. You can be fined up to £1000

The rules are:

  • Your ageing parent must never give the badge to friends or family to allow them to have the benefit of the parking concessions
  • They must never copy the badge, or attempt to alter the details
  • The badge remains the property of the issuing local authority and they can ask for the badge to be returned if it is being misused
  • When using the parking concessions, the badge must be displayed on the dashboard, or fascia panel of the car, where it can be clearly read through the front windscreen
  • If there is no dashboard or fascia panel in the vehicle, your elderly relative must still display the badge in a place where it can be clearly read from outside the
  • The front of the badge should face upwards, showing the wheelchair symbol
  • The side showing the photograph should not be visible through the windscreen
  • Your ageing parent must also ensure that the details on the front of the badge remain legible
  • If they become unreadable through fading or wear and tear, they must return the badge to their local authority, so they can issue them with a
    new one
  • Displaying a badge that is illegible may result in a parking fine

The Blue Parking Clock and when to display It

Blind people need to ensure that people displaying the badge, or clock on their behalf, understand how to display them correctly

The clock should be sent to your elderly relative together with their Blue Badge if not, they can get a clock from the same source that issued the badge

Incorrect display of the badge may result in a parking fine

Your ageing parent must display the blue clock when they park on yellow lines, or in other places where there is a time restriction

They need to display the blue parking clock to show their time of arrival

The clock should be set to show the quarter hour period during which your parent arrived

If your older relative needs to use a parking clock, they must display it on the vehicle’s dashboard, or fascia panel, so that the time can be seen clearly through the front windscreen

How to apply for and renew a blue badge

You can now apply or renew a Blue Badge online using the link below if you are resident in England, Scotland or Wales, and you can apply on behalf of the applicant  online blue badge registration

You will first be asked to identify your local authority and give for some personal details to help your local authority deal quickly with your application. This will include:

Your National Insurance Number or Child Reference Number for applicants under 16 years old (which can be found on your Child Benefit award letter)

Your driving licence number if you have a driving licence

If you already have a Blue Badge, the number, expiry date and the name of the issuing local authority. (These can all be found on the badge)

You will also need to provide a passport style photograph as this will appear on the back of the badge. Your photograph will not be on display when the badge is used in the vehicle

The photograph can be submitted with your online application if you have a digital photograph that can be uploaded. Alternatively, you can send a signed photograph to your local authority

At the end of the application form, you will be notified of what you need to do next. This may include sending in proof of your address and your identity

You will be asked for details of your medical condition and the difficulties you have when operating parking meters. If you drive an adapted vehicle you will be asked to provide a photocopy of your insurance details to verify the adaptation

Any information that you supply will be transmitted securely via the government’s internet to the local authority that is responsible for issuing Blue Badges in the area where you live.

Your information will only be able to be accessed by the local authority processing your application. A limited amount of information will be accessed by enforcement officers to prevent abuse of the Blue Badge scheme.

This online application should take you about 15 minutes to complete

If you can’t apply online please check with your local authority on their alternative application process

Returning the badge

Your ageing parent must return the badge securely to their local authority if the badge has expired, or their medical condition or mobility improves so that they are no longer eligible

Contact your local authority


Leave a Response

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Other Life - Caring - Mobility Articles

Driving Issues for Older People

28 May 18

As people age, their driving abilities inevitably change. However, by reducing risk factors and incorporating safe…

How to help older drivers to stay safe on the road

03 Nov 15

Driving safely is critical for drivers and other road users, as well as pedestrians and cyclist….

Older people should wear seatbelts

21 Nov 14

Wearing a seat belt has been compulsory since 1983, however a recent study conducted by ICM…

Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles

09 Oct 14

If your Mum or Dad uses a wheelchair to get around, either all the time or…

From our forum...

27 Apr 15 - telecare
16 Jun 12 - james

Shop Online - view all

Linkword Languages

A scientifically proven method to learn a language at 3X the speed. Money back guarantee. Quote…

Find out more


100% Waterproof Mattress Protectors-soft breathable & luxurious yet undetectable. Use MAP to get 10% off. 0000

Find out more

Foyles for Books

Foyles offer the largest range of books for carers, FREE delivery to all Foyles stores &…

Find out more