Home Forum Your Stories I wish I had recorded my father’s life before he died

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  georgeryan 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

deborah
    Keymaster

One of my greatest regrets is that I didn’t ask my father to record his life before he died. Unfortunately, aged 80, dementia began its slow, destructive assault on his mind and body and he deteriorated for almost seven years before he died. By then, it was too late to ask him to tell me about his life and I should have tried to get him to talk about it a long time before.

So why didn’t I? Maybe it was the fear of pointing out his own mortality. Is it right to ask your parent to record their life whilst they are still fit and well? I should have overcome my scruples. My father died when my children were seven and five and certainly my younger one has no memories of him at all. My nephews were even younger. Yet he could have told them so much.

Read the rest of the story here: http://bit.ly/11vP3Xt

nicko
    Participant

Hello, my name is Nick. I am a Champlain College student doing a research project on recording the lives of individuals for their future generations.

Post a comment/question if you have ever thought about recording the lives of your loved ones.

georgeryan
    Participant

I know how it feels. This is why a year ago we created a free platform where people can record their life stories, and the stories of their parents and grandparents. It’s called MemoryStoria, http://www.memorystoria.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shop Online - view all

Cavendish Furniture

Suppliers of Orthopaedic and Rise & Recline chairs, walking aids and mobility products direct to your…

Find out more

E Chemist

E Chemist offers great deals on a vast range of health and beauty products. Buy now.

Find out more

Care experts ready to take your call now

We can help you find the right care for your older relative. Call now on 01483 209626

Find out more