Home Forum Legal & Finance 35 years together but not married – no rights

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Windsor Lad 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

aquinas
    Participant

My poor father after spending 35 years with my mum, taking on her 6 children, working hard to keep a roof over our head and kept us fed and watered. Yet the government upon her death tells him that he has no rights in respect of her upon her death. He is a state pensioner, low income, struggling to cope, yet he’s not entitled to even claim the bereavement fund because they were not married. How sad and perverse is this that our government can possible draw that conclusion. He was even told when registering the death that if we wasn’t present when she dies he could register her death, again because they were not married. He cannot even take action for neglect against the nursing home that so severely neglected her leading to her death, again because they were not married.

Seriously, is it really so that you have to be married to be bereaved the same as a married person. They lived together as husband and wife, yet upon death this is no longer recognised. This is so cruel, hang your head in shame legislators….

Anonymous

I am so sorry to hear your story I am sure there must be so many others in the same situation . I think if anyone out there knows people in this situation they need to make them aware

Windsor Lad
    Participant

I think the Law will eventually change as I believe it already has in Scotland.

What a pity your parents didn’t at least make Wills appointing one another as Executors & Beneficiaries.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shop Online - view all

Cosyfeet

Cosyfeet offer extra roomy, deep and wide footwear for swollen, painful or wide feet. Buy online.

Find out more

Fresh Start

Get a good night’s sleep with Fresh Start adjustable beds.

Find out more

Scribbler

Cheer up your loved one with Funny Birthday Cards, Rude Christmas Cards & Funny Valentines Cards…

Find out more