Carer Assessments explained

There is a completely separate assessment for the giver of the care called the carer assessment

This is different from the assessment for the person in need of care which is called the community care assessment It is important that the local authority considers needs that are already being met or will be met by the carer when making a community care assessment

However, if you, as a carer, have your own need for community care services because of ill health or disability, you may also be eligible for your own community care assessment. One way to help ensure this is for the carer to ask for a carer’s assessment alongside a community care assessment

Unpaid carers over the age of 16 are entitled to an assessment of their own needs, if they are providing, or intending to provide, a substantial amount of care on a regular basis. This is based on the following acts:

-The Carers (Recognition and Support Services) Act 1995 enables carers to request an assessment of their own needs at the same time as the person they are caring for is being assessed.

-The Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000 extends carers’ rights so that they can request an assessment of their own needs, irrespective of whether the person they are caring for is being assessed. It also enables local authorities to provide carers with services in their own right, in addition to any services they may be providing for the person being cared for.

The assessments must consider whether the carer participates, or wishes to participate, in any work, education, training or leisure activity. This recognises that carers should be able to access the same opportunities as those without caring responsibilities.

Carer assessments and the local authority resources

 Although Local Authorities have a duty to carry out carers’ assessments, whether or not they provide services is their decision. They do not have a duty to do so.

Respite care

Respite care may be beneficial to you and the person you’re looking after.

In some areas, respite care is provided by your local authority as a result of an assessment on you as a carer. In other areas, access to respite care is provided through a community care assessment of the person you’re looking after. Ideally, it is better if both parties are assessed. The local authority will consider what help you need and decide which community care services it will provide to help you

Making a complaint

If you have a complaint, it is advisable to try to sort it out with the person they have contact with, such as the assessor or care manager. There may simply have been a failure in communication or a misunderstanding that can be easily rectified. However, if this is not successful, there is a local authority complaints procedure. The local authority will explain how to use this. The complaints procedure might be useful if:

There are problems arranging an assessment

There is an unreasonably long wait for an assessment

The services needed are not provided, or are unsatisfactory.

If the local authority complaints procedure does not resolve the issue either, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman at



Leave a Response

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Other Care - Care options - Care assessments Articles

What is NHS Continuing Care and how do you qualify?

10 May 17

NHS continuing care is care that is arranged and funded by the NHS free of charge outside of…

Top tips for filling out an attendance allowance form

17 Dec 15

Attendance allowance is granted to those people over 65 who require personal care assistance. The form…

How to get the best from a care assessment

10 Nov 15

Prior to having a care assessment, it is important to prepare all the information you might…

Guide to social services for older people

20 Sep 15

There is a wide variety of social care services available, primarily there to support people in…

Essential guide to getting help for elderly

09 Jul 15

The question we are asked most frequently is how to go about getting help for an…

From our forum...

14 Sep 16 - beverley2203
13 Sep 15 - aob123

Shop Online - view all

Cavendish Furniture

Suppliers of Orthopaedic and Rise & Recline chairs, walking aids and mobility products direct to your…

Find out more

The Good Care Group

National provider of professional award winning 24 hr live-in care, allowing people to live safe &…

Find out more

Design for Independence

Professional occupational therapy advice; home adaptation and specialist equipment for the less able; manual handling training…

Find out more